Sleep Apnea Can Strain Your Relationship
Sleep apnea is a disorder that doesn’t only affect the sufferer, but it can impact the person they sleep with too. One of the first signs of sleep apnea is loud, raucous snoring, which can be hard for one person to tune out while they’re sleeping.
In fact, snoring is the third most common cause of divorce in America as it often influences couples to sleep in separate rooms and builds tension in their relationship. If you’re looking for a solution to relationship problems caused by snoring, the professionals at DentaCare Dental can help you reclaim your peaceful sleep. Longview sleep dentist Dr. Hobbs can help patients in Longview’s surrounding areas find a solution to their snoring problems.
The Disturbing Sound of Snoring
Snoring is a nuisance that can prevent your partner from achieving a full night’s sleep. The disturbing sound can make your sleep partner feel resentful towards you and it can be the reason behind your intimacy issues.
Lack of sleep can make any relationship tense and complicated. When neither person is receiving enough sleep, both feel moody, irritable, and disinterested to be around each other altogether.
No couple should have to endure the negatives caused by snoring and sleep apnea. Your partner will appreciate it when you take the time to learn more about your potential disorder and they’ll see that you care when you find ways to relieve your snoring.
Your Love Life Changes
Have you noticed a reduction in your intimate life with your partner? Maybe it’s because you’ve started to sleep separately due to your snoring or because you both are too exhausted from your lack of quality sleep.
Sleep apnea can be a major reason behind your damaged sex life because it’s been found to ruin a person’s sex drive. In one study, women between the ages of 28 and 64 with sleep apnea were found to experience a decrease in libido and sexual dysfunction.
Other studies have proven that up to 70% of men with sleep apnea will also suffer from erectile dysfunction. This is often caused by a drop in testosterone levels because generally, these levels are at their highest when you sleep and are lessened when you haven’t slept enough.
Speak with a Doctor
The best way to show your partner that you care about their well-being and want to work on your relationship is to schedule a sleep study today. A sleep study is the only way to determine if your snoring is a sign of sleep apnea and it’s the first step to discovering an effective treatment.
Once you complete a sleep study with a certified sleep specialist, they may first prescribe you a CPAP mask. Some patients still find that CPAP is too uncomfortable and noisy to sleep with, so many opt for an alternative such as an oral appliance. These custom-made mouthpieces are small, easy to use, and help relieve symptoms of mild to moderate sleep apnea.
Now you and your partner can sleep soundly through the night without the loud disruptions caused by your snoring or CPAP machine.
8 Tips for Couples & Sleeping
- Have a conversation about the problems in your relationship so you can work them out together and find solutions.
- Receive a sleep study so you can verify if the struggles in your relationship are stemming from your sleep disorder.
- Find a doctor and listen to what they say will help your sleep complications. It won’t be long until you find the relief you’ve been longing for.
- If you’re overweight, consume drugs or alcohol, or sleep on your back, making lifestyle changes to improve your health and improve your sleep quality can have a great impact.
- Different elements in your room can affect your ability to sleep. By simply changing your bedroom environment such as the lighting or noise, you’ll see a vast improvement.
- Look for both short- and long-term solutions that can help you find relief for your problems right away, but can also offer your partner lifelong benefits.
- Make sleep fun, cuddle with each other, and tell stories about your day before falling asleep.
- Be patient and support one another. If you or your partner suffers from sleep apnea, the best thing to do is be there for them and know that treatment may take some time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I tell if my partner has sleep apnea?
Your partner may have sleep apnea if you notice any of the following signs:
- Snoring loudly throughout the night
- Making gasping or choking sounds
- Breathing stops during sleep
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Decreased libido
- Waking up frequently to urinate
If you notice any of the above signs, voice your concerns to your partner. Sleep apnea is a very serious condition that can have detrimental physical and mental effects if left untreated. Fortunately, at DentaCare Dental, our Longview dentist Dr. Hobbs offers comfortable solutions for snoring and sleep apnea.
Can sleep apnea affect your personality?
While sleep apnea doesn’t alter your personality, it can affect your mental health, mood, and cognitive function. This can affect your interaction with others around you. The irritability and fatigue experienced by patients who suffer from sleep apnea can also put a strain on interpersonal relationships.
Can an oral appliance help with my snoring even if I don’t have sleep apnea?
Certainly! Many of our patients seek an oral appliance treatment to alleviate their snoring, even if they don’t have sleep apnea. Snoring can disrupt your sleep partner’s sleep quality and how they function on a daily basis. Treating your snoring with an oral appliance can help your partner get better sleep which can help improve your relationship.
Find Relief at DentaCare Dental
Don’t let sleep apnea ruin your sleep or relationship. Instead, find relief at DentaCare Dental. Dr. Hobbs can find the right treatment for you to alleviate the sleep apnea symptoms. He’s proud to provide services to the Longview community as well as the surrounding areas including Marshall, Gladewater, Lakeport, Kilgore, and many more!
Call our Longview office at (903) 686-9076 to schedule your consultation with our sleep dentist Dr. Hobbs. You can also fill out the online contact form below and one of our staff will get back to you promptly. We can’t wait to help you and your partner get the best sleep quality!